Monday 16 June 2014

Waiting for the holidays...

I can't wait to go on holidays and it seems this long deserved break is never going to come. I'm tired, worn out, and between neck pain, hay fever, flu and both kids also catching a bug I think I really need time off. 

I haven't had a "proper" holiday for more than a year, and the last time I was in France was nearly 18 months ago (although it was only for a few days and not in the best of circumstances). 

The last summer holiday we spent in France was 2 years ago, and we had a great time. It was without a doubt the best holiday we had in a long time. We caught up with friends a lot, and even got to spend a couple of days with my brother and sister (without the kids!) on a little island of the coast of Brittany. 

I think it's going to be hard to top that this year, but I keep fantasizing about how great our time home will be. The thing is, I don't want to keep my expectations too high either for  fear of disappointment. I was completely hyped up before going to Mauritius last year and unfortunately the holiday didn't live up to my expectations. Ethan was in the "going up and down the stairs" phase and I spent two weeks watching his every moves. I missed my brother in law's wedding ceremony because he wouldn't stay quiet in the church, so we ended up outside and he went up and down the stairs of the church for an hour. And there were a lot of other little things that didn't really go according to plan. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure some people experience holidays far worse than mine, but compared to the other vacations I spent in Mauritius, that one was definitely not the best.

Anyway, I hope this holiday at home will be worth it. I actually can't wait to do some French stuff, go to the boulangerie and buy fresh bread and croissants, visit the local market,  go the beach, drink wine and spend quality time with my friends and family. 

There's also a festival going on in my home town at the time we will be there and it's one of the reason why I chose to go in July. It's a traditional Breton festival and I just love the atmosphere and the buzz around the village at that time of the year. This event celebrates Breton culture, particularly with dance and music. There will be concerts, shows, and a big parade on the Sunday. Some of my cousins play traditional music in a Bagad (the equivalent of a pipe-band with an additional instrument, the "bombarde") and my best friend used to be in a Breton dancing group 


Bagad Cap-Caval



Traditional music and dance are quite popular in Brittany, even amongst young people. I was quite disappointed when I came to Ireland, because I thought it would be the same, but people here, at least in Dublin, seem to be  less interested in traditional Irish culture. Sure, shows like Riverdance are always sold out and you can listen to Irish music in Temple bar, but that's mainly for tourists. I'm sure it's a different story in the West of Ireland, and I realise I may have moved to the wrong part of the country!

I think the next two weeks are going to be very long...