Sunday 28 February 2016

8 habits I picked up since I moved to Ireland




I am still French in many ways. I love my wine, my cheese (lots of it) and my Desperados beer (yes, it is French in spite of the name). I have no problem sitting for five hours at a table, enjoying good food and drink with my friends. However, thirteen years in Ireland have definitely changed me and I've realised I picked up "Irish" habits I didn't think I would.


Cutting sandwiches in a triangle shape


I would never do that in France, for the simple reason that French people mostly eat baguette sandwiches. Here, it's all about sliced bread, cut in triangle, preferably toasted (but that's just personal taste!). Which brings me to point 2.



Eating sliced bread


13 years ago, there wasn't much variety in shops when it came to bread so I had to adapt and started to eat sliced bread. Now, you can find baguettes and all sorts of bread everywhere, but I usually stick to the sliced pan. I just got used to it.



Drinking tea/coffee with my lunch


That is really one of the most bizarre habits I picked up and I don't why I do it. I used to drink water, which makes a lot more sense.



Cheering for Ireland in sporting competitions


Except when France is playing against Ireland, obviously. But other than that, I always want Ireland to win. And if I hear about an Irish sportsman in the Olympics for example I will always try to watch the performance (unless it's the 50K walk). And I have to say, I think Irish people are very fair-play (but I never get too cocky when France wins because of the amount of slagging I would get).


Using Irish expressions


It's grand, Sure look it, come here, yer man, thanks a million, what's the craic, what's the story, deadly, feckin eejit, Ah here!, coolaboola (not sure how it's spelled...) and I'm probably forgetting a lot..!



Cursing


Oh, my English teachers would probably kill me if they heard the amount of bad words I learnt over the years. But cursing in Ireland is just part of the culture I guess. It took me a while to lose my formal English though, and it all went downhill when I started to work with Irish people.



Shopping on Sunday


French people are still very attached to their weekly day off. There were big protest a few years ago between workers and big stores who wanted to open on Sundays. I'm not saying I go shopping every Sunday, but at least I have the option if I really need something and I don't think that's a crime.



Take my kids to the pub


I would NEVER dare doing this in France. People would just look at me and think I'm the worst mother in the world. Let's be clear though, we are taking them during the day, for lunch or an ice-cream. We are not getting drunk while they run around. Our local pub is very family friendly and it's not rare to see kids there on Sunday afternoon.


What habits have you picked up since you moved abroad?