Friday 5 August 2016

Holidays


Hopefully the weather will be as good as that...


The blog is probably going to be quieter for the next two weeks as we're going to Brittany tomorrow for a well deserved holiday. The kids have been there for three weeks already and according to my mum, they still don't speak French. As a matter of fact, my mum is the one who improved her English... Looks like things didn't really go according to plan!

Talking about plan, I'm sure if you're an expat, you know that holidays home are usually  planned with military precision. Friends and family want to see you and sometimes it  can feel like you're being pulled in all directions. Trust me, a holiday home is exhausting.

And  it's not going to be different this time. I haven't been home since July last year, and it was only for a few days, so I have a lot of catching up to do. We also decided it would be a good idea to make the kids discover the region because every time we have been to Brittany with them, the days consisted of going to the beach or meeting friends.

This time we have a lot of activities planned. We're going to take them to the aquarium, go on a boat trip to an island, maybe drive down to the "Broceliande forest", home of the many legends surrounding King Arthur. I want them to know where they're coming from and appreciate the region. I can't say if they'll be interested, but we have to try and who knows, we might be surprised!

Of course, I can't wait to eat delicious seafood, drink wine and just enjoy the company of my best friends and my family. My parents are not getting any younger either so we have to make the most of it while we still have time.

The good thing this year is that we're taking the car, so not only we won't depend on my parents to move around, we'll be able to bring back A LOT of stuff to Ireland. I just hope there will be enough space for all the food and the cheap wine. On second thoughts, there is always space for wine.

There's only two things left to do: packing the suitcase, and enduring a 14 hours ferry journey.

Oh, and pray for warm and sunny weather.